Nearly half of survey respondents have more than four devices in a household to protect and 45% of survey respondents fear losing photos and videos the most. Security and privacy were cited as key requirements for backing up data.
Emerging concerns for personal data protection
The traditional fears of hardware failure and accidental deletion are no longer the sole reasons people fear data loss. Cyber-threats like ransomware, a type of malicious software designed to block access to a computer system and its data until a sum of money is paid, is a growing threat to individuals and businesses.
- The most important data protection features were security (cited by 30% of respondents), ease-of-use at 36%, and privacy at 26%
- 46% have more than four devices (computers, laptops, smart phones) in their homes
- Currently, 38% back up to external drives and 30% back up to the cloud
- 58% percent of consumers back up at night and 27% backup while watching TV
With the median household having at least four devices, an emerging trend of users called “family data protectors” is also gaining traction. The sheer growth of data captured in mobile pictures and videos, music files, and scanned family documents means the family data protector ensures the immediate and extended family is prepared for, and protected against, data loss.
Three simple steps to improving your data protection
For anyone, but especially for family data protectors, keeping digital memories and fiduciary documents safe, secure and private, is a responsibility that can be easy and inexpensive to exercise. Below are some tips to help:
1. Always have a backup of a family’s critical data, documents, pictures and videos.
2. Keep your operating systems on the most up-to-date version. Those security patches and software updates are important
3. Be mindful of suspicious emails or clicking on links sent by unknown sources, it could be a phishing scheme or Ransomware.
Protecting personal data is quick and easy - with Acronis True Image, in three clicks and 10 minutes, memories can be safe forever. To take advantage of World Backup Day special offers on Acronis True Image, visit their website here.
Article Contributor: Acronis